This spring bold is in. Colors, patterns and fabrics are brighter and bolder than ever. Design Expert Dawn Kail of overstockArt.com advises now is the time to pack up demure shades and go for daring home décor pieces that will liven up your home.
“You don’t have to be particularly brave to incorporate the season’s bold decorating trends in to your home décor,” said Kail. “To keep up with the trends it isn’t necessary to repaint all of your walls tangerine or buy a brightly colored couch, start small by adding an assortment of accessories that bring in the spring color and design trends.”
Refresh your rooms with Kail’s tips on incorporating spring’s spunky home decorating trends Kail shares spring home decorating trends and offers the following tips on how to spring forward:
- Citrus tones – Pantone’s 2012 Color of the Year Tangerine Tango isn’t the only citrus color to make the season’s color palette. Juicy citrus shades of yellow and green mix well to bring the cheerful colors of the season inside your home. Be bold and add in splashes of orange or tangerine for an even more striking look. Liven up your look by incorporating these shades with pillows, artwork, an ottoman or add a splash of these vivid hues with floral arrangements featuring fresh spring flowers such as yellow roses, tulips and daffodils. Incorporate actual citrus fruits into your décor with lemon and lime highlighted in table centerpieces.
- Floral patterns – Bold floral patterns are abloom in fashion and home décor trends this season. Add small doses of spring cheer to your home décor by incorporating blooming accessories throughout your home. Large-scale floral patterns and painterly quality prints are abloom with vivid hues of indigo, tangerine, red and fuchsia. A symmetrical grouping of wall art featuring floral images turns a blank wall space into a conversation piece.
- Nautical style – Whether you’re living on the beach or are landlocked bring the beach to your home with nautical detailing. Go for classic sailor stripes with patterned throw pillows and linens. Accessorize with model boats and seashore elements like seashells and sand. Use a life preserver as wall art and pair it with an oil painting depicting a seaside image to create a beach vibe. Add a subtle nautical element with rope handled baskets or a jute-wrapped lamp or waste basket.
- Metallics – Add a little sparkle and shimmer to your home décor this spring with metal. Metallic accessories pair wonderfully with bright colors. A subtle shine of gold, bronze or silver can either stand out as a centerpiece or quietly add depth to the room. Start with smaller metallic decorative accents, like trays, vases, bowls, frames and mirrors.
- Bring the outdoors in – Awaken your home décor by bringing springtime elements inside. Put away the decorative pine cones and replace them with seashells, driftwood, sculptural twigs and cherry blossom branches. Repurpose stylish outdoor furnishings for your home – use a ceramic garden pot as an oversized vase or a garden stool as an end table. Bring the aroma of spring into your home with scented candles or fresh flowers.
“It’s easy to go over the top when redecorating, but definitely not necessary,” said Kail. “Small, cost-effective improvements can really freshen up the overall look of your home for spring.”
For more spring decorating inspiration check out overstockArt.com’s Seasonal Spring Gallery and its Spring Home Décor Trends Pinterest board.